Recent Water Damage Posts
Timeline Of Water Damage
Don't wait! Call us right away if you experience water damage in your home or business.
When you experience water damage in your home or business, drying it out quickly helps keep the claim cost down.
- Water spreads quickly throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Walls, floors, upholstery, and personal contents are absorbed by water.
- Furniture in the path of the water may bleed, causing permanent staining on the carpet.
- Books, photographs and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
- Affected drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces start to tarnish.
- Furniture starts to swell and crack.
- Dyes and ink on paper goods bleed and stain.
- A musty odor lingers in the air.
48 hours to a week:
- Mold and mildew may start to grow and spread.
- Doors and windows start to swell and warp.
- Metal surfaces start to rust and corrode.
- Furniture on the affected flooring warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint starts to blister.
- Wood floors swell and warp.
- Bio-hazard contamination is possible.
More than a week:
- Restoration time and costs increase dramatically. The replacement of contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and bio-hazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Water Damage In Hardwood Floors
Hardwood floors removed due to a water loss in the home.
Hardwood floors are becoming more and more popular due to its required low maintenance. Although hardwoods floors are extremely durable, they can be vulnerable to moisture. If your home has hardwood floors, always be on the lookout for any signs of water damage on your wood flooring.
The first common sign of water damage in hardwood floors is known as cupping. This happens when moisture causes the wood to expand, which then shifts the other boards together and deforms them in the center. Crowning, the opposite of cupping, is another common sign of water damage. Crowning occurs when the boards are pushed together resulting them to raise in the center of the wood boards. Cupping and crowning can both lead to a buckling floor, if left unnoticed. Buckling happens when the floor boards begin lifting from the sub-floor, causing extensive damage to your wood flooring. Other signs to look out for are cracks in the floor, boards separating, or the wood become soft and weak.
If you notice any of these signs in your wood floors, you have wood floor water damage, and need to take immediate action to prevent further damage.
Call SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus right away to begin mitigation services. If the floor is salvageable, we can place drying equipment to repair the damaged floor to its preloss condition.
What To Do And Not To Do After Water Damage
This local library had water damage throughout the whole facility.
Water damage can be very devastating to your home whether it is caused by a storm, sewage backup, pipe leak or appliance malfunction. Regardless of how it started, certified and trained professionals should handle water damage emergencies. If you discover water damage on your property, follow these do’s and don’ts list to minimize the damage and start the restoration process earlier.
What To Do:
- Contain the water within the affected area
- Start removing as much standing water as you can through mopping or blotting with a dry towel
- Wipe down furniture
- Put foil between the wet flooring and the furniture legs
- Prop up furniture cushions and pillows
- Remove all rugs away from the affected wet floors
- Turn on your ventilation system to start airing out the affected area
- Move all artwork and pictures to a safe, dry area
- Open closet doors, furniture drawers and luggage to start to help them dry out
- Hang up wet fabrics to dry out
What Not To Do:
- Don’t remove standing water using your vacuum cleaner
- Don’t place newspaper on the floor
- Don’t ever enter a room with electrical or structural damage
- Don’t lift up carpet that is tacked down
- Don’t try to clean up sewage water yourself
- Don’t use electrical appliances while standing on wet floors or carpets
Calling certified and trained professionals should be the first action you take when dealing with a water disaster. If you experience water damage in your home or business, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus at 614-261-6666. Available for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We are always here to help.
How To Prevent A Sewer Backup In Your Home
Our Professionals have specialized training and equipment to quickly and safely clean contaminants like sewage.
Sewer backups can cause major damage to your home. Learn about causes of sewer backups, and what steps you can take to protect your home against sewer problems.
Most Common Causes Of Sewer Back Ups
- Aging Sewer Systems
- Combined Pipelines- Storm water and raw sewage in the same pipeline
- Tree Roots
- Blockages In Sanitary Main
How To Prevent Sewer Backups
- Dispose Of Grease Properly. After cooking oil has been cooled off, it should be put in a heat-resistant container and disposed of properly. Washing grease down the drain is not the way to go. As the grease cools down it will start to solidify either in the drain, owner’s line, or in the main sewer line eventually causing it to clog.
- Dispose Of Paper Product Properly. Paper products such as paper towels, disposable diapers, hygienic wipes, and feminine products do not break down quickly, and can cause a lot of problems down the road in owner’s lateral as well as in the city main.
- Cut Tree Roots Periodically. Have your roots regularly cut by a professional if you notice problems with your tree roots in your lateral.
- Replace Your Line. Replacing your pipes with plastic ones will prevent tree roots from entering your line.
- Fix Illegal Plumbing Connections. It is illegal to connect French drains, sump pumps, and any other flood control systems to your sanitary sewer. The debris will clog your line.
- Install A Backwater Prevention Valve. A backwater valve that is properly installed and maintained allows the sewage to go out and prevent it from coming back in.
If you experience a sewage backup in your home, call SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus at 614-261-6666 today!
Finding Your Water Shut-Offs To Prevent Flooding And Water Damage
SERVPRO technicians help customers locate their water shut off valves in their homes to prevent unexpected flooding.
Do you know where your water shut-offs are located in your home? If you can’t answer that off the top of your head then take time to locate those water shut offs in case there is ever a serious leak. A serious leak can easily cause major flood damage to your home’s interior. Learn how to find and turn off your home’s water shut off valves.
Finding The Main Water Shut-Off Valve
The main water shut-off valve is typically located on the perimeter of your home since that is where the water enters your house first. No need to check the central areas or the upstairs, the water usually enters the home either on the ground floor or the basement. Also, search for the valve on the street side because your water main starts at the street and then heads straight to your home.
When you find the valve it will typically be either a knife style or round handle valve. A knife style valve is a straight handle that runs parallel to the pipe. Turn the knife valve a quarter to turn the water off. Knife style valves only turn in one direction, a metal stop prevents the handle from turning in the opposite direction. A round handle valve is similar to a hose faucet. It must be turned several times counter-clockwise to fully shut off the water.
Finding The Plumbing Fixtures Shut-Off Valves
Toilet: This small valve is located below the toilet, against the wall. This shut off will either be a handle that you will turn clockwise to shut off or a push-pull valve, if you are in an apartment, to turn on and off the flow of water to the toilet.
Sink: These valves are located under the sink in the cabinet. There will be two sets of tubes and valves connected to the sink. These valves will also either be handles or push-pulls. Both handles will need to be turned clockwise to shut off the water to the sink.
Washing Machine: Behind the washing machine there should be two valves, one for hot water, and one for cold water. Turn both of the valves clockwise to shut the water off to the washing machine.
Having a serious leak in your home, and knowing how to stop the water from coming in can help prevent extensive water damage. If you experience unexpected water damage in your home, call SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus at (614) 261-6666, we are always here to help!
Different Types Of Water Damage
The water loss at this commercial warehouse was caused by a broken pipe, flooding the floor with clean water which is the least harmful.
The moment you step on wet, soggy carpet your heart sinks knowing you have a water issue in your home. Water damages can cost homeowners both time and money to resolve. There can be many causes of water damage in your home from minor issues to major, costly problems. Water damage can start with a slow leak which takes months to notice to a broken pipe that results is massive amounts of water in a short time period.
No matter how your water loss happened, it is important to realize there are three categories for water which will determine how your loss will be remediated.
Clean Water – Is the least harmful form of damage and does not pose a threat to humans.
- Broken or leaking pipe
- Sink overflow
- Ice maker supply line
- Toilet supply line
Grey Water – Water will contain some microorganisms.
- Sink back up
- Sump pump
- Roof leak
- Leaking air conditioner
- Washing machines, dishwasher, water heaters
Black Water – This can be toxic and may contain bacterial diseases, chemicals, pesticides and microbes.
- Foundation problem
- Gutter problems
- Toilet Bowl overflow
- Sewer back-up
- Water damage that sat over 3 days
While you can not prevent all water damages, there are some precautions you can take to minimize your chances of a water loss as follows:
- Regular inspection and maintenance of your roof.
- Make sure your gutters are clean and installed properly.
- Address any foundation issues promptly. Yard should be sloped 6 inches over a 10-foot span away from your foundation.
- Test your sump pump twice a year by filling your sump pump pit with water to the float level. Make sure your sump pump turns on and the water level goes down.
- Have your air conditioner checked yearly.
- If you are leaving your home for an extended period, turn off your main water line and drain your pipes. This is most important in the winter months where your pipes could freeze if your home loses power.
- When you flush, make sure your toilet drains completely. If you do have an issue, turn the water supply line off and unclog your toilet.
- Inspect and replace worn pipe fittings and hose connections to household appliances once a year.
Call SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus at (614) 261-6666 if you have any questions regarding a water loss. We are always here to help!
Dublin Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
This Dublin home’s basement flooded due to heavy rains.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Dublin basement could flood, including: A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipeHeavy rain causes surface water to pool around your homeStorm sewer backupSanitary sewer backupFoundation drainage failureWater supply-line break or hot-water tank failureAnd many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today -614-888-5700
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:We are Available 24 hours/7 days per weekWe’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance CompaniesWe Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry AboutOur Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration TechniquesWe use s500 IICRC Restoration StandardsAdvanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 614-888-5700
Faster to your Dublin Water Damage Event
SERVPRO of NW Columbus provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Dublin
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of NW Columbus provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of NW Columbus arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 - 614-888-5700
Water Damage Timeline
Within MinutesWater quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:Drywall begins to swell and break down.Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.Furniture begins to swell and crack.Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:Mold and mildew may grow and spread.Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.Metal begins to rust and corrode.Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.Paint begins to blister.Wood flooring swells and warps.Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of NW Columbus
SERVPRO of NW Columbus specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Dublin 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Services
SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Dublin, Columbus, and Upper Arlington.
SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 614-888-5700
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:Your name and contact informationYour insurance information (if applicable)The street address of the water-damaged home or businessWhen did the flooding or water damage occur?What caused the water damage (if known)?Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus
SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.