Recent Storm Damage Posts
Our SERVPRO Team Helps Out After Hurricane Laura
We are always here to help!
SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus answered the call for help from the Storm Team at our SERVPRO corporate headquarters. Our crews immediately began gathering the supplies necessary to get on the road quickly so we could begin helping those affected by the strong hurricane in Lake Charles.
SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus is proud to be part of the Storm Team because we pride ourselves on helping others in their time of need. Our technicians have been trained to go above and beyond to help ease the minds of our customers. We do our best to save as many precious belongings as we can, and we make sure their home or business is dried out and cleaned up so they can get back to normal as soon as possible.
Going on storm can be a large task to organize, but our SERVPRO team has been doing this for many years and we know what it takes to get on the road quickly and help as many people as possible. SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus loves helping others!
A tree fell on this home, causing extensive damage.
Thunderstorms are very common throughout the year, not only can they bring water damage to home, it can also bring wind damage. Damage from severe thunderstorm winds account for more than half of all severe reports in the lower 48 states and is more common than tornado damage.
Follow these steps if your home is damaged by wind.
- Call your insurance company to report your damage.
- Take pictures of any damage, from a safe location.
- Inventory any belongings that may have been destroyed or damaged, identifying the brand, price, age, etc.
- Include pictures of your home before damage with your insurance claim.
Preventing Further Damage:
- If you suspect possible structural, electrical or gas-leak hazards, shut off electrical power, natural gas and propane tanks to avoid fire, electrocution or explosions.
- Cover any broken windows and doors with tarps, heavy plastic or plywood to prevent further damage from happening. Save repair receipts for reimbursement.
Repairs and Cleanup:
- Until your property has been inspected by an insurance representative, don’t start permanent, major repairs or renovations.
- Hire a professional roofing contractor who is licensed and insured, if your roof needs to be replaced.
- Fallen trees or large branches also are best removed by a professional tree service. This service may be covered depending on your policy coverage.
If your home suffers wind damage, please contact SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus at 614-261-6666 for any board up, tarp up, tree removal, or roof replacement services.
Our Storm Response
Call SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus at 614-261-6666 if you experience storm damage in your home or business.
SERVPRO Storm Response
Our team here at SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus is ready for whatever happens, no matter the time of day. Our crews are always on standby. When it comes to fire and water damage, our professionals work tirelessly to make sure our customers are satisfied and are explained each step of the cleaning process.
Highly Trained Storm Damage Specialists
As leading professionals in the storm and water damage industry, we have advanced training and expertise, along with a tremendous amount of hands-on experience. We use this training and experience to quickly dry your home or business and restore it back to pre-storm condition.
Faster to Any Size Disaster
If a storm hits your home or business, odds are you need help immediately. Our quick response will help prevent any secondary damage and help reduce restoration costs.
We Have the Resources to Handle Storms and Disasters
Our team has access to resources and personnel of over 1,700 Franchises to handle major storms and disasters. Along with the access to our exclusive Disaster Recovery Teams strategically located to respond to catastrophic storms and events throughout the country.
Locally Owned and Operated
SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus is locally owned and operated. We are actively apart of the community with you as well. When you have a storm disaster or flooding emergency, we are in the area and ready to help you.
Protect you and yourself against lightning strikes.
Lightning is a major cause of storm related deaths in the United States. Even though the chance of getting struck is small, there are factors that can increase your risk of being struck. Here are a few tips to keep you safe.
- Avoid Water: Don’t shower, bathe, wash dishes, or have any other contact with water during thunderstorm. Lightning can travel through the buildings plumbing.
- Avoid Electronic Equipment: Don’t use your laptop, computer, game system, washer, dryer, stoves or any other appliances connected to an electrical outlet. Lightning can travel through electrical systems, radios, TVs and any metal wires in concrete walls or flooring. To protect appliances, equip your home with surge protectors.
- Avoid Corded Phones: During a thunderstorm, corded phones are not safe to use. Use a cell phone instead.
- Avoid Windows, Doors, Porches, And Concrete: During a thunderstorm, don’t lie on concrete floors. Avoid leaning on concrete walls as well. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
If you think your home has been struck by lightning call 911 immediately and evacuate if you see fire or smoke. Ask your local fire department to check for hot spots in your walls.
Call SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus if you experience fire damage caused by a lightning strike.
Leave The Board-Ups And Roof Tarping To Us
This building's roof was tarped due to a leak causing water to flood the facility.
Here at SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus we want to take the hassle and stress out of the board up and roof tarping of your home due to a disaster.
Whether your home or business was damaged by a fire, storm, or other structural disasters, boarding up or tarping a damaged property is a burden that you as a homeowner shouldn't have to handle. Incorrectly boarding up or tarping your home can result in further damage, making the situation worse. Whether the further damage be from moisture or animal intrusions.
Our dedicated team of professionals are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year to help with in case you come across unexpected damage to your home or business.
Our SERVPRO of Northwest trained and certified professionals are here to board up or tarp your damaged property, remediate the original damage and provide you with peace of mind while helping make it “Like it never even happened.”
Sump Pump Maintenance
Call SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus if you experience a sump pump backup.
A sump pump is one of the most important parts of basement plumbing equipment. It makes sure that any accumulated water in your home and around its foundation is promptly pumped out and away from your home to a storm sewer or containment pond, so it doesn't allow your basement to flood, damaging your possessions. At least, that's what it is supposed to do. If your sump pump is not regularly and properly tested, then you can't guarantee that it will come through when you need it most.
1. Inspect the pump and its outlet pipe
Start the inspection by listening. If there is excessive groundwater around the foundation, the pump should turn itself on, pumping out the water and turning itself off again. Next, remove the cover and look inside the sump pit. If the level of water is low, there is a high chance the pump is working properly. Examine the sump pump for any signs of external damage, as well as any obstructions or debris in the surrounding pit. You will also want to see if the outlet pipe that carries water from the pump to outside your home is free of any blockage. And the check valve is working properly.
2. Check the electrical components
Your sump pump should be plugged into a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, which protects it from a potential short while it is submerged. Consider getting yourself a battery-based backup pump for your sump pump that will kick on if your primary sump pump fails.
3. Test the sump pump
Test your sump pump by pouring in five gallons of water. The pump should then turn on once the water level reaches a predetermined level below the basement floor. If the pump doesn’t turn on, it could be either clogged or damaged, and you should call a licensed plumber for help.
4. Clean and maintain your sump pump
The typical lifespan of a sump pump is 10 years but if your sump pump is running often, you should consider replacing it every 5 to 7 years. Inspect and test your sump pump at least once a year. To be safe, check your sump pump before a big storm hits your area.
Preparing Your Home For Fall
Cleaning gutters now saves your home from future damage.
It’s fall y’all! As the season begins to change, so do our home needs. Even though summer is still hanging around, it’s a good time to do some seasonal maintenance to keep your home running smoothly. Follow these steps to prepare your home for the upcoming fall season.
- Check For Drafts: Feel for any drafts around the edges of your windows and doors. A helpful tip is to use a lighted candle and if the flame flickers, there is most likely a draft. If you find a draft of air coming in, replace the seals and repair any caulking around door frames and windows.
- Inspect Your Furnace: Have an HVAC professional test your furnace for leaks, check the heat efficiency and change the filter.
- Winterize Your Air Conditioning: If you have a home with central air conditioning, you may need to cover your outdoor unit for the upcoming winter. If your home has window air conditioning units, remove or cover them to prevent air leaks.
- Thermostat: If you don’t already have one, buy a programmable thermostat. Setting your thermostat to different temperatures different times of the day can result in cost savings.
- Test Your Home Safety Devices: Replace the batteries in all of your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide devices and test them to make sure they are working properly.
- Clean Humidifiers: Replace any old filters and make sure to clean inside the compartment.
- Check The Roof: You can perform a visual roof inspection from the ground. To get a better look, grab some binoculars or a ladder to climb up for a better view.
- Check The Chimney And Fireplace: If you have a wood fireplace that you use often, have your chimney cleaned and inspected by a professional.
- Examine Siding: Check around your home’s exterior for cracks and holes. Hire a professional to fix them or repair them yourself.
- Clean The Gutters: Clean your gutters of any debris, nests, leaves that may be hiding in there.
- Inspect Your Water Drainage: Check your rainwater downspouts to ensure that there are no obstructions and direct away from your home.
- Inspect Trees And Landscaping: Check your yard for any damaged limbs or plants that may break off and cause damage to your home.
When Storms or Floods hit Dublin, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Dublin.
SERVPRO of NW Columbus specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Dublin, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel Disaster Recovery Team from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 614-888-5700