Thunderstorms are very common throughout the year, not only can they bring water damage to home, it can also bring wind damage. Damage from severe thunderstorm winds account for more than half of all severe reports in the lower 48 states and is more common than tornado damage.
Follow these steps if your home is damaged by wind.
- Call your insurance company to report your damage.
- Take pictures of any damage, from a safe location.
- Inventory any belongings that may have been destroyed or damaged, identifying the brand, price, age, etc.
- Include pictures of your home before damage with your insurance claim.
Preventing Further Damage:
- If you suspect possible structural, electrical or gas-leak hazards, shut off electrical power, natural gas and propane tanks to avoid fire, electrocution or explosions.
- Cover any broken windows and doors with tarps, heavy plastic or plywood to prevent further damage from happening. Save repair receipts for reimbursement.
Repairs and Cleanup:
- Until your property has been inspected by an insurance representative, don’t start permanent, major repairs or renovations.
- Hire a professional roofing contractor who is licensed and insured, if your roof needs to be replaced.
- Fallen trees or large branches also are best removed by a professional tree service. This service may be covered depending on your policy coverage.
If your home suffers wind damage, please contact SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus at 614-261-6666 for any board up, tarp up, tree removal, or roof replacement services.