Preparing Your Home For Fall
Cleaning gutters now saves your home from future damage.
It’s fall y’all! As the season begins to change, so do our home needs. Even though summer is still hanging around, it’s a good time to do some seasonal maintenance to keep your home running smoothly. Follow these steps to prepare your home for the upcoming fall season.
- Check For Drafts: Feel for any drafts around the edges of your windows and doors. A helpful tip is to use a lighted candle and if the flame flickers, there is most likely a draft. If you find a draft of air coming in, replace the seals and repair any caulking around door frames and windows.
- Inspect Your Furnace: Have an HVAC professional test your furnace for leaks, check the heat efficiency and change the filter.
- Winterize Your Air Conditioning: If you have a home with central air conditioning, you may need to cover your outdoor unit for the upcoming winter. If your home has window air conditioning units, remove or cover them to prevent air leaks.
- Thermostat: If you don’t already have one, buy a programmable thermostat. Setting your thermostat to different temperatures different times of the day can result in cost savings.
- Test Your Home Safety Devices: Replace the batteries in all of your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide devices and test them to make sure they are working properly.
- Clean Humidifiers: Replace any old filters and make sure to clean inside the compartment.
- Check The Roof: You can perform a visual roof inspection from the ground. To get a better look, grab some binoculars or a ladder to climb up for a better view.
- Check The Chimney And Fireplace: If you have a wood fireplace that you use often, have your chimney cleaned and inspected by a professional.
- Examine Siding: Check around your home’s exterior for cracks and holes. Hire a professional to fix them or repair them yourself.
- Clean The Gutters: Clean your gutters of any debris, nests, leaves that may be hiding in there.
- Inspect Your Water Drainage: Check your rainwater downspouts to ensure that there are no obstructions and direct away from your home.
- Inspect Trees And Landscaping: Check your yard for any damaged limbs or plants that may break off and cause damage to your home.
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists can restore your Dublin & Worthington Homes
We are an IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of NW Columbus is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) create the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of NW Columbus
SERVPRO of NW Columbus specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.